2/28/2009

Lost my dad and then lost everything else?

As we drove away from Dad's house, post burial, I reflected momentarily on the doors and windows. I had been sure to lock them up. I also left a light on and the heater was set to a low temp. Never gave it another thought. Just drove away, with moist eyes.

Now I know better!

One must also prepare a vacant house for anyone who may come in. Who has a key? Who knows how to get in? Who are you overlooking that could get in? Could they get into trouble? I'm not just talking about thugs and robbers here either.

I overlooked that I also drove away from an empty and unprotected house that had a rather large supply of booze, beer, morphine (from Hospice for dad, so it was the really "good stuff"), and a loaded 38 handgun.

I overlooked that my 18 year old nephew had a key.

How do you think this story ends?

Did he get the gun and take it to highschool? Did he and his friends take some booze and get in the car only to have an accident down the road? Did he sample what he saw dad take for pain, just to see what it did for his grandpa, not realizing that dad had built up an amazing tolerance for the drug? Did he combine the booze and the morphine and overdose? Or did his drunken grief plus gun translate into a self-sent fatal shot?

Did he give some alcohol and/or drugs to another underage person? Did they get hurt or killed? Did their parents feel justly angered? Did they file a law suit against me, since I am now the "estate" ? Did I lose my own house, car, savings, business, property and valuables in a messy and painful legal battle?

No.

I just learned to be more careful. No one was hurt. No on was hurt this time. I was LUCKY.

PS/ the gun, drugs, booze, and dad's car keys are no longer at dad's house. I don't want to push my luck.

No comments: