10/14/2008

It Can Get Weird

We all feel good about dad doing this his way. I know dad appreciates the dignity of making his own choices and he loves the drama he can squeeze out of an awkward death related moment.

Once he actually lowered a ladder into his grave and climbed in. Later, when I heard about it and pressed him for the reason, he said “Son, there was a dead animal down there, and I wanted to get him out.” Made no sense to me at all. Wasn’t that the one perfect place for a dead animal to be? Dad was having none of that. It was his hole. He unceremoniously booted the little rabbit out.

Then, I imagine, he stood there, six feet under, and looked up at his creator and creation… And smiled. This has been a weird and wacky journey

Can you imagine seeing your own cemetery plot? Your own casket? The eternal ever-after view afforded from the bottom of YOUR own grave? Me either. But that’s my dad.

Good luck and please share your creative death and burial story on our blog. We can all share, celebrate the life of the lost ones and learn from one another’s experiences too. God bless you and rebels everywhere!

No comments: